Not all of Lent is intended for somber self-reflection. Sundays during the season are still joyful reminders of the blessings that are ours through the resurrection. So come join us for our second annual Chicken Delight potluck (20th). Bring your donations for Heifer Project chickens and food dishes containing eggs or chicken; drinks and table settings will be provided. Also, feel free to join Rev. Textor, the children and other adults in our celebrative chicken dance!
Then, shed the winter blues by attending a Southwest District Faith Fest service of inspirational singing and witnessing at the Hancock United Methodist Church from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. on Sunday the 27th. I have room for four adults or five kids in my car. If you’d like a ride, let me know.
Don’t leave Mark Martens hanging folks! Check with him right away about serving as a senior high youth counselor either the last three Wednesdays of March or the first three Wednesdays of April.
Along with our present personal prayer concerns be sure to include the leaders and citizens of nations presently engaged in violent protest. Also, lift in prayer Christians who are being persecuted in these and other places.
Help us show that we care about the community of Oakland by taking part in activities for all age groups on Saturday May 14th. We’ll be serving a meal in honor of our town council and town workers. We also plan to get outside our church doors for some hands-on-community projects. Any ideas? Let me or our Administrative Council Chairperson Barb Schorsch know before our meeting next Thursday.
For this Sunday (13th)
• Scripture: Matthew 4:1-11
• Sermon Title: “Facing Temptation”
- What can we learn from Jesus when we face temptations similar to the ones he faced in this week’s bible reading?
- Have you ever been tempted by a yearning for bread (food, money, material possessions)?
- Have you ever been tempted to doubt your faith (“if you are God’s son”)?
- Have you ever been tempted to worship other gods (sports teams or players, celebrities, wealthy people)?
- Jesus uses scripture to face down his temptations. Is scripture ever misused?
LOVE & JOY