Holy Week is now upon us. This Sunday is Palm Sunday. We’ll have our usual procession of palm leaves by the children and adult helpers. We’ll also confirm six youth (Kyra Martens, Hannah Hummel, Hayley Haines, Grace Gleaves, Andrew Jones, and Sarah Jones) and baptize two of them (Hayley Haines and Hannah Hummel). It’s been a privilege to work with these seventh and eighth graders, and I hope that you’ve thanked them for their able assistance with worship these past months. Also, if you haven’t done so, be sure to thank Emma Ehmke for joining the adults who have been leading us in our praise songs. Also deserving thanks are Cyndy Haines and Sheila Applegate who cleaned up in front of the church.
If you haven’t already done so, this Sunday you’ll have a chance to write a note to one or more of our service men or women. Be ready with the message you’d like to send.
- Palm Sunday service with confirmation at 10:00 a.m.
- Good Friday service at 7:30 p.m. at the Congo church; sponsored by the RCA
- Saturday prayer vigil; sign up Sunday or by contacting the church office
- Easter sunrise service at the Carson cemetery followed by breakfast at the Carson community center begins at 6:30 a.m.
- Sunday School and worship at their usual times Easter Sunday
This week please pray for
- Our youth being confirmed
- The people of Mapleton and other communities recovering from tornado damage
- Bev Zuch’s mother, Bea, who is now in hospice care
- Peace in Libya and other “hot spots” around the world
For this Sunday (17th)
- In Matthew 27 the people decide that Barabbas should be freed and that Jesus should be crucified.
- Today what do we choose—to free the things Barabbas stands for or to choose the values Jesus stands for?
- What does this scripture and the hymn “Were You There” have in common?
- Note that Matthew 21 captures the joy and celebration of Palm Sunday and that Matthew 27 reflects the week that follows.
LOVE & JOY